Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hanwell Town app


Hanwell Town - Match centre

Hanwell Town
Leatherhead win 2 - 4 on penalties. Tue 9 Oct 19:45 - The Emirates FA Cup 18-19 Full time Attendance 366

Hanwell 0-0 Leatherhead (Leatherhead win 4-2 on pens)


Run over!

(Leatherhead went through 4-2 on penalties).
After ‘Halfway to Paradise’ on Saturday came ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ for Hanwell on Tuesday evening at ‘The Powerday’. After 120 minutes of stalemate, Leatherhead progressed to the next round by virtue of a quite extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shoot-out by Zaki Oualah. He not only saved two of Town’s spot kicks but got a strong hand to both of the others. The visitors converted all four of their penalties and the fifth kicks were not needed.
The match itself was an evenly fought affair with neither side particularly in the ascendancy. Town had begun promisingly with an incisive run by Tom Collins leading to a cross that evaded everyone, followed by Calum Duffy heading a Louis Bircham free kick narrowly wide. The visitors’ policy of pumping balls into the box earned the odd corner kick but generally Harry Tamplin and Tom Duffy were winning the aerial battle. There was some consternation for Hanwell when the Tanners won the ball in mid-field and Alfie Cue crossed low into the Town area but it was just too far in front of Elliot Benyon for him to get a foot to it.
As the half hour mark approached ‘keeper Zaki Oualah parried a shot past the inrushing Ibrahim Olutade who leapt over him to avoid a collision. The ball ran loose but was eventually cleared. Hanwell then produced their best move of the game. Olly Duffy won the ball in mid-field and found Tom Collins. He dribbled past two defenders and sent the ball across the field to Louis whose shot from an angle was parried away by a sprawling Oualah. Shortly afterwards another good move, involving Tom Collins, Calum and Ibrahim, saw Tom heading just over.
The visitors went close after thirty-five minutes when Tom Duffy’s header away from Travis Gregory’s cross fell to Daniel Gallagher twenty-five yards out. He had time to line up his shot but fired over the bar. As the half was drawing to a close Hanwell threatened twice to break the deadlock but neither Harry’s header from a free kick, nor Ibrahim’s shot from the edge of the box, hit the target.
Hanwell had just had the better of the first half and began the second strongly and Louis went close with a free kick from thirty-five yards. As the half wore on, however, the Bostik Premier team began to assert themselves, although Hanwell were managing to limit any goal chances. It was not until twenty minutes from the end of normal time that the visitors created a good opening but an angled drive from D’Sean Theobalds was well kept out by Aaron Bufton. From the resulting corner, substitute Shaun Okojie miscued a header when well placed to score. A series of high balls into the box ensued but the Town defence, with Harry to the fore, restricted the goal chances in normal time to two tremendous headers by Okojie. The first crashed against the bar and the second produced a spectacular save from Aaron. As the game entered added-on time Ibrahim was signalled offside as he forced a great save from Oualah and Jerry Nnamani headed a free kick narrowly over the Hanwell crossbar, so the ninety minutes ended goalless.
After the break Hanwell began in lively fashion. Tom Collins drew roars of appreciation as he dribbled three quarters of the length of the field before finally being dispossessed. The Tanners then had a scare when there was a scramble in their area, which was cleared away for a corner, from which Tom Duffy had a goal-bound header fisted away by Oualah. The visitors continued their mainly aerial attacks and Harry made two particularly noticeable headed clearances.
The final minutes saw the ball travelling from end to end. Gareth and Ibrahim both had shots saved for Hanwell while the ‘Tanners’ were profligate in their wastage of well-positioned free kicks. The whistle finally went for full time and five penalties per team were required determine the victor. Gareth and Calum netted for Town but Louis and Ismael Ehui had their efforts well saved. Okojie, Gregory, Theobalds and Cooney netted for the ‘Greens’. It was a disappointing ending to a good cup run for the players, management, officials and supporters of Hanwell Town amongst the crowd that was in excess of three hundred and fifty. The visiting committee members were sympathetic and generous in their praise of Town after the game and we wish them well in the next round, against Hitchin, their fourth team beginning with the letter ‘H’ in their four rounds this season.
TEAM: 1.Aaron Bufton 2.Kieron Cathline 3.Andy O’Brien 4.Olly Duffy © 5.Tom Duffy 6.Harry Tamplin 7.Louis Bircham 8.Calum Duffy 9.Ibrahim Olutade (15.Ismael Ehui 115) 10.Tom Collins (12.Gareth Chendlik 100) 11.Rhys Paul (18.Harvey Killeen 64). Unused substitutes: 14.Charlie Barton 15.Devante McKain 16.Ahmed Elsahib 19.Wayne Carter.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors